Monday 11 November 2013

Simple felty foods

Earlier in the year I posted about the felt sandwich toy I made for my daughter's second Birthday.  It proved to not only be a hit with my daughter, but has become one of my most viewed blog posts, so I thought I would share with you my plans for some more felty food toys I'm making my little one for Christmas.
 
I had this idea to make lots of bits and pieces for a kind of shop/market for my little girl.  So far I have been warming up by stitching some simple felt foods mainly from existing patterns which I've saved from old craft magazines.
 
 
Techniques so far have included sewing 3D cylinders, circles which are drawn in and stuffed (similar to making a Suffolk puffs,) and also tubes and cone shapes, both with drawn in ends.
 
 
OK so these strawberries aren't entirely felt, but they were so simple to make!
 
 
The carrots were made using the same kind of technique as the strawberries.
 
 
I particularly like this simplified version of a jammy dodger, from an old Mollie makes magazine.
 
 I do love sewing with felt, it's both easy and satisfying.  None of that stressing over fraying seams and lots of quick and easy whipstitching!  I've already made some felty sausages and bacon since taking these photos and have plenty more foodie makes planned, which I hope to share with you over the next few weeks.
 
Are you planning a handmade Christmas this year?
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment